GROUND RULES/MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
By completing our application form and paying your membership fee you are agreeing to abiding by the following ground rules. Everyone who is in our system and available for you to meet will have gone through a police check and two character references.
1. We suggest that before meeting with your family/Surrogate Grandparent that you establish common grounds through our website (when fully developed) or via email. Once you are comfortable, then you can exchange telephone numbers to arrange a meeting.
2. A telephone call should be the next stage to arrange your first meeting at a mutually convenient public venue (Local café, park etc)
3. Families: If you can avoid taking your children to the first meeting, please do so, once you are comfortable with your potential Surrogate, you can introduce the children later on.
4. Surrogates: Please ensure that both yourself and your partner (who have applied together) are available to meet at the same time. If you have applied alone and wish to have a friend with you to the first meeting, that is fine – although you will need to inform your family that your friend is not part of Surrogate Grandparents and therefore has not been through a police check/character reference????
5. Sometimes we know instantly whether we “get on” with someone or not. But it is a very personal decision. We ask that if you are unsure if you are a good fit with the family or surrogate grandparent(s) that you arrange a second or third meeting before you make a decision.
6. If you do decide that the fit isn’t quite right, please do be honest and kind and let them know as soon as possible. We believe that you should follow your intuition with these matters – go with your gut.
7. NEVER give away too much information about yourselves on the first couple of meetings and ensure that you meet in a public place, rather than inviting them to your home.
8. NEVER provide any financial/bank details for ANY reason.
9. Once you have established a match, please let us know so that we can update our database. We will follow up with you over time to see how you are all getting along.
10. Please note that we are unable to meet everyone who has joined our organisation, however much we would like to. It is up to you to take personal responsibility for your wellbeing just as in any transaction with somebody you don’t know, e.g., using a new tradesperson or Trade Me.
what surrogate grandparents is not:
- A free babysitting service. Although there may be some elements of this and you may find that your Surrogate Grandparents are more than happy to do child care for you at times. Please note that this should not be the reason for getting involved with a Surrogate Grandparent.
- A replacement for your own parents/Grandparents & family. No one can replace true family, but they can become a close alternative.
- Financial Support – our members have joined as they have both time and love & their family to share, not money. We respectfully ask that no money exchanges hands between both parties.